Report an issue on this page.
- Editing Guidelines
- Visual Novels
- Special Games
- Tags & Traits
- Image Flagging
- Capturing Screenshots
- About VNDB
- Discussion Board
- About Us
- Database API
- Database Dumps
All network traffic with the VNDB.org server (which includes: IP addresses, browser and referer information, and in some cases the full contents of form data) may be logged for up to 7 days. This data is used solely for technical diagnostics and measurements, and for detection and investigation of unwanted behavior (such as spam or malicious voting behavior). These logs are not used for profiling or analytics, are not shared with external parties and do not leave the server.
Additionally, the following information about you is stored if you have created an account:
- Email address: Your email address is only used for account verification, recovery, and (very rarely) important information regarding your account. We do not send site updates, notifications or other content over email. If such features are ever added in the future, they will be explicitly opt-in. Your email address is never shared with third parties.
- IP address and list of active sessions: These are used for abuse detection/prevention and account security. This information is never shared with third parties.
- Lists: This includes your personal visual novel list, wishlist, release list and votes. This information is part of your public profile and is therefore, by default, visible to everyone. It is possible to mark your list as private in your profile, which will also prevent this information to be shared with third parties.
- Database contributions: This covers all your activities on VNDB that are not covered above. These are part of the public record and are visible to everyone.
All information may be retained in the database for as long as your account exists, with the exceptions of database contributions, which may be retained indefinitely. Backups of the database are stored for up to a year.
VNDB does not rely on any resources hosted by external parties and does not use any form of analytics or targeted advertising.
If we are presented with a valid search warrant by a government agency, we will, in all likelihood, have to comply. This has never happened.
Cookies are only used for user preferences and session management.
You can request your account to be deleted by creating a thread on Yorhel's board or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the latter case, the email must originate from the same address as listed in your account. The following information will then be permanently deleted from the database:
- Your username, preferences, email address information and sessions.
- All your lists (as mentioned above).
Your database contributions will persist, but will be irreversibly decoupled from your account (in fact, your account will not exist anymore).
You agree that all your public contributions - that is, all information marked as "visible to everyone" in section 1.1 - may be shared with the public and/or (commercially) licensed to other parties.
If information about you (as a developer, translator or otherwise) has been included in the database that you're not comfortable with, please contact us at email@example.com. While we do not (yet) have a formal policy on what kinds of data we alter and/or remove, we do generally try to honor removal requests for sensitive and/or personal information.
With the following exceptions:
- Anime data is obtained from the AniDB.net UDP API and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0.
- Images, visual novel descriptions and character descriptions are gathered from various online sources and may be subject to separate license conditions.
- The source code of this website is licensed under the AGPL.
If you own the copyright of images or descriptions used on VNDB and do not wish for these to be distributed through the database, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This database aims to index and catalogue information about all visual novels, including those that contain offensive or sensitive content such as rape, violence, child abuse, transphobic/homophobic content, gore, lolicon, etc. This content is reflected in the database through the tags, descriptions, images and other metdata.
VNDB does not itself host or link to content that is illegal in most of Europe and North America, but some content may be unlawful in other countries. Visit VNDB from such countries at your own risk.